A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Schmidly at your initial dental visit. Regular check-ups are recommended thereafter for prevention and early detection. At South City Dental, your regular check-up exams include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Dental hygiene cleaning: Removal of tartar and deep cleaning of teeth
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Regular hygiene visits to South City Dental allow our hygienists to clean plaque and debris from your teeth. If left alone, plaque hardens into tartar and can irritate gums to cause gum disease. The bacteria in plaque combined with decaying food particles can contribute to halitosis, commonly known as bad breath. At your hygiene visit, we will also update your medical history, perform an oral cancer screening, check your teeth for decay, review oral hygiene instructions with you, and monitor your periodontal condition.